Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Thoughts of Better Days

In light of the recent weather, today was remarkable. Easily 70 degrees and partly cloudy. Because of the thunderstorm last night, there was a sultry edge of humidity in the air, reminding me of Florida on a cool day.

After "work," I couldn't just sit around...

So I decided to go along with my customary boredom drive out to Battlefield Park in Sackets Harbor. As I left the city limits of good old Whiskey Tango, the atmosphere of Upstate NY swallowed me whole.

While the winters in this little corner of the nation are decidedly bitter, today was the first time I understood why people would actually want to live here. Driving alone, with just the Dropkick Murphys to keep me company, I was able to take in and truly appreciate the beauty of the landscape.

Once I reached Battlefield Park, I stopped for all of about two minutes. As many hundreds of times as I've been to Sackets Harbor, I've never actually taken the time to venture across the bay to the other village, whose name I did not know. Having nothing but time, and being limited only by the gas in my tank, I decided to go on an adventure. I would find out what was on the other side of the water.

Driving around and bouncing along old country back roads, I rolled my windows down and cranked the music, letting the warm, muggy air wash over me... It's moments like these when I feel I've found some measure of inner peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment